As part of the rebuilding of Shelby Iron Works which began in 1868, a new commissary soon took its place among the other substantial and impressive brick buildings. Upon its completion, the "company store" was opened not only to iron company employees and their families, but also to the entire community. This was done by the company to help relieve the destitute condition following the Civil War.
The commissary had a basement and adjacent warehouse. A portion of the warehouse can be seen on far right of the photo.
Standing in front are Shelby Iron employees who staffed the commissary.