Constructed during the rebuilding of 1868-1870, the large three story brick building, situated across from the New Dannemora Hotel, soon became the commissary to the community of Shelby.
The well stocked store offered everything from clothing, to hardware, to coffins.
This building contained, in addition to the store, iron company offices and a basement laboratory. A large warehouse was located behind the commissary building.
During the late 1800's and early 1900's Shelby was a booming town and saw the addition of a number of other stores offering a wide variety of goods and services.