The iron works underwent major reconstruction and additions in 1868 and the early 1880's. This photo shows Shelby Iron Works as it appeared in the 1880's.
Just off the photo, mid left, would have been the rail road scales used to weigh iron laden cars prepared for shipment. The white front, arched building on the left of this photo is furnace nunber 1. The next building to the right, partially obscured by trees, is furnace number 2. "The Queen of American Charcoal Furnaces."
The roofline which is visible to the right of furnace number 2 is probably a charcoal shed.
The second building from the right is the machine shop. The chimney visible behind this building still stands today and is a part of Shelby Iron Works Park.
The building on the far right is the foundry.
Next to this building, but off the photo, would have stood the carpenters shop, blacksmith shop, and stables.