This undated photo shows the Chemical Plant as it stood prior to removal of the roof and siding. It was taken from near the spring house which is located within Shelby Iron Works Park. The plant was in operation only a short time after its construction in 1918-19.
Soon afterward, Shelby Iron Company itself was to cease operation.
In 1923, and for the first time since March 31, 1865, the night sky of Shelby would no longer be illiminated by the reddish glow from the furnaces.
The iron company that had its beginnings in 1847 and rose from the destruction of the Civil War, could not survive the economic and transportation difficulties of the time.