Above is a copy of a letter sent by Shelby Iron President M. W. Bush to company Asst. Treasurer J. G. Hendrick.
In 1918, Shelby Iron deeded land to the U.S. Government for construction of a plant to refine chemicals from wood. A separate compamy was set up to construct and operate the proposed chemical plant. It was to be known as the Shelby Chemical Company.
Remains of the two buildings still stand, on private property, just north of Shelby Iron Works Park.
More will be posted on the Shelby Chemical Company soon.